Time for some fun with FPGAs!
MEGA65 – highly advanced C64 and C65 compatible 8-bit computer
Sure to delight the retro tech lover and available to preorder now from our partners Trenz Electronic. This 21st century realization of the Commodore™ 65 heritage is a complete 8-bit computer running more than 40x faster than a C64 while being increasingly compatible. Mechanical keyboard, digital video output, dual SDHC™ card support, Ethernet, extended memory and other features increase the fun without spoiling the 8-bit feel. Hardware designs and software are open-source.
This FPGA-based computer wants to be experienced, modified and improved. Development is ongoing!
The first 400 units have been sold. Reservations/pre-orders for the next batch of 1000 units can still be made. Each purchaser will receive an order confirmation after placing the order.
Any questions? Please contact MEGA https://mega65.org/, there is a contact form at the bottom of their homepage.
- Powerful Xilinx™ Artix A7 200T FPGA for main integrated circuit, additional MAX™ 10 FPGA for recovery
- Incredibly high quality cherryMX™ based retro keyboard with metal frame
- Double shot keycaps that will last forever
- Professional moulded C65-style plastic case with support for additional ports and other modifications
- Modern features like 100 MBit fast LAN, dual SDHC™ card slots, digital video and more
- Awesome chiptune potential: 4 SIDs, OPL2™ (wip), 4-channel 16-bit DMA-based Audio in FPGA
- Keyboard FPGA allows for easy control and reconfiguration to individual needs
- 40 MHz 8-bit CPU, 384 KB fast RAM, 8 MB serial RAM (wip)
- VIC-IV video controller with VGA™ and digital video connectors
- Digital and analog video output usable at the same time
- 3.5 mm 4-pin stereo audio socket. Audio is also sent on the digital video connector
- Internal Pmod™ connectors for additional expansions like Tape, Userport, extra memory or real SIDs
- JTAG™/FTDI™ programmer port for quick testing + flashing of bitstreams, debugging and coding
- Supports real 1541, 1571, 1581 Commodore™ drives via IEC Port
- Battery-backed real-time-clock (battery CR1220 not included)
- Keyboard fits original Commodore™ 65 case
- Extremely fast and feature complete 8-bit home computer
- 3-FPGA-design with no closed-source ARM™ cores inside
- Completely Open Source and under continuous development
- Under development by dozens of ingenious nerds and M-E-G-A e.V. (non-profit organisation) since 2014
- Commodore™ 65-based architecture, highly Commodore™ 64 (wip) and 65 compatible
- AMIGA™, ATARI™ ST and other cores being developed or ported, or make your own core
- Use internal 3.5” floppy disk drive, SDHC™ cards und external disk drives, all at the same time
- Use many Commodore™ 64 cartridges with internal expansion slot
- Commodore™ 64 compatibility enhanced compared to original Commodore™ 65
- Several great classic games pre-installed
- Bundled with highly specialized and enhanced GEOS™ version (wip)
- Built-in freezer menu with countless save slots (depending on SDHC™ card size)
- Win, Mac and Linux tool chains and emulators for coding and sending files (PRG, SID, …)
- Multiple D81 disk image support also supporting AutoBoot
- Includes licensed Commodore™ 65 ROM
- Community ported Gameboy Color and ZX Uno Core are available.
MEGA65 is not an emulator but a real 8-bit computer with real gun-racing video chip and internal floppy drive!
MEGA65 is around 40 times faster than a C64 making it possibly the fastest 8-bit computer of all time!
MEGA65 lets you access and watch thousands of legendary digital artworks plus the tools to make them yourself!
CODING & DEVELOPMENT
Making your own games, demos, or applications has become as easy as it was in 1982. You can program a game in just one day.
MEGA-OS hypervisor and operating system including freezer and task switcher, VFAT32 file system & inter-process communications
Everything you run on or code for the MEGA65 will also run on the MEGAphone (WIP)! And what about SID music as a ring tone?