Product focus: FM582
2 channel 1GSPS 8 bit ADC FMC card
The FM582 is a 2 channel 1GSPS 8 bit ADC card in FMC (FPGA Mezzanine Card, VITA 57.1) format using a Low Pin-Count (LPC) connector.
This is a product that was developed in conjunction with CERN’s Open Hardware Repository and is available as a project here. The CERN Open Hardware Licence is to hardware what the free and open-source licences are to software. It defines the conditions under which a licensee will be able to use or modify the licensed material. It shares the same principles as free software or open-source software: anyone should be able to see the source – the design documentation in the case of hardware – study it, modify it and share it.
- The following features are controllable by software:
- Input signal range, coupling, termination and offset adjustment
- Sampling clock selection
- Direction of external trigger in/out
- ADC configuration and status
- The offset adjustment does not clip the signal at the highest range (+/- 5V). That is why the “max input signal amplitude” has been specified as 10V, even though the selection of signal ranges only goes up to 5V. This way, a +10V pulse with -5V offset could still be digitised without clipping.
- The sampling clock is derived from a voltage-controllable 125MHz clock source, controlled via an SPI DAC.
- A copy of the 125MHz clock source is available on the FMC connector pins.
- Software can select either one of the input channels to be sampled at 2 GSPS, by interleaving the 2 ADCs.
- 50 Ohm input is protected from overload
- 8 channel 12 bit I2C ADC monitors all local power supplies
PCB format: VITA 57.1 FMC LPC
Sampling Rate: 1 GSPS (2GSPS in single channel mode)
Input Signal Type: single-ended
Resolution: 8 bits
Number of Channels: 2
Bandwidth (-3dB): 50Ω: DC to 400MHz (or better) 1MΩ: DC to 300MHz (or better)
Input Signal Coupling and Termination: AC (8 Hz LF limit, after 50 Ω termination) DC-50Ω DC-1MΩ
Input Signal Range: +/- 50mV+/- 250mV+/- 500mV+/- 2.5V+/- 5V
Max Input Signal Amplitude: +/- 10V
SNR: > 40dB full bandwidth over all input ranges
ENOB: > 6.5 full bandwidth over all input ranges
Offset Adjustment Range: +/- 5V
Offset Adjustment Resolution: 16 bits
Offset Adjustment Accuracy: < 1%
Additional I/O: External TTL trigger in/out (bidirectional)External 10MHz clock input
Self-calibration: Automatic zeroing of offset and gain
ADC interface: serial/parallel LVDS
Temperature sensor: On I2C bus
FMC EEPROM: 32K bits type 24C32
Power Consumption: Design estimation 9.6W