Virtex 5, PXI Express, 125MHz ADC
This enables the use of an SMT384 WITHOUT a TIM (Such as SMT368, SMT351-T), within a PXIe rack.
Details of each board follow.
The SMT700 is a Virtex 5 based PXIe board.
The SMT700 module uses a Xilinx Virtex 5 LXT or SXT to implement the interfaces the board provides. The FPGA can be configured either via the onboard flash, or through the Xilinx JTAG header.
The SMT700 is one of the first of a new range of Sundance cards that includes a direct connection to SLB (Sundance Local Bus) compatible mezzanine card, without the need for a Sundance TIM. This enables a variety of cards to be added to a system, for example extra Ethernet ports, video in/out, High speed ADC / DAC etc. Data from these extra cards (along with data from the SMT700’s own inputs – up to 1Gb/s Ethernet, 2.5Gb/s optical links, and RSL links) can be processed via the Virtex 5, or by another linked card or module.
- Xilinx Virtex 5 SX50T in an FF1136 package.
- FPGA configuration from 64MByte flash using a Xilinx Coolrunner CPLD.
- One 64-bit wide data bank of DDR2 memory. The bank uses 4 16-bit wide devices. Running this memory at 220MHz provides a maximum access speed of over 3.5Gbyte/s.
- Sundance LVDS Bus (SLB) connector.
- Front panel SATA connectors carrying Virtex5 serial interfaces.
- Front panel RJ45 for gigabit Ethernet.
- Front panel Fibre Optic modules carrying Virtex5 Serial interfaces.
- Sundance RSL connector with 4 serial interfaces.
- On-board USB interface to allow re-programming of the flash memory.
The SMT384 is a single width expansion TIM that plugs onto an SLB base module SMT368 (Virtex-4 FPGA) and incorporates 4 Texas Instrument Analog-to-Digital Converters (ADS5500). The SMT384 implements a comprehensive clock circuitry based on a AD9510 chip that allows synchronisation among the converters and cascading modules for multiple receiver systems as well as the use of an external reference clock. It provides a complete conversion solution and stands as a platform that can be part of a receive base station.
ADCs are 14-bit and can sample at up to 125 MHz. All converters are 3.3-Volt. As a standard, the ADCs are all AC-coupled (RF Transformers), but can also be optionally DC-coupled (TI opamp THS4509).
The Xilinx FPGA (Virtex-4) on the base module is responsible for handling data or control commands coming from the TI converters, Comports (TIM-40 standard), Sundance High-speed Bus (SHB). These interfaces are compatible with a wide range of Sundance’s modules.
The memory on base module can be divided into two 16-bit wide independent blocks for storing samples.
Converter configuration, sampling and transferring modes are set via internal control registers stored inside the FPGA and accessible via Comport.
- Four 14-bit ADCs (ADS5500 – TI) sampling at up to 125 MHz
- On-board low-jitter clock synchronizer (AD9510) coupled with a 245.76-MHz VCXO
- One SLB connector to link the SMT384 with anSMT368
- Single width expansion module (mezzanine module)
- One External Clock and one External Reference inputs via MMCX connectors (Huber Suhner)
- One External Clock and one External Reference outputs via MMCX connectors (Huber Suhner) for synchronising and cascading modules
- Analogue Inputs/Outputs via MMCX (Huber Suhner) connectors are all 50-Ohm terminated
- Compatible with all Sundance SLB modules
- 12 months warranty