3U PXI express board Virtex-5 Medium Speed Quad DAC
The SMT759 combines the power of the SMT959 with the PXIe compliant SMT700 carrier card.
This enables the use of an SMT959 WITHOUT a TIM (Such as SMT351-T), within a PXIe rack.
Details of each board follow.
The SMT700 is a Virtex 5 based PXIe board.
The SMT700 module uses a Xilinx Virtex 5 LXT or SXT to implement the interfaces the board provides. The FPGA can be configured either via the onboard flash, or through the Xilinx JTAG header.
The SMT700 is one of the first of a new range of Sundance cards that includes a direct connection to SLB (Sundance Local Bus) compatible mezzanine card, without the need for a Sundance TIM. This enables a variety of cards to be added to a system, for example extra Ethernet ports, video in/out, High speed ADC / DAC etc. Data from these extra cards (along with data from the SMT700’s own inputs – up to 1Gb/s Ethernet, 2.5Gb/s optical links, and RSL links) can be processed via the Virtex 5, or by another linked card or module.
- Xilinx Virtex 5 SX50T in an FF1136 package.
- FPGA configuration from 64MByte flash using a Xilinx Coolrunner CPLD.
- One 64-bit wide data bank of DDR2 memory. The bank uses 4 16-bit wide devices. Running this memory at 220MHz provides a maximum access speed of over 3.5Gbyte/s.
- Sundance LVDS Bus (SLB) connector.
- Front panel SATA connectors carrying Virtex5 serial interfaces.
- Front panel RJ45 for gigabit Ethernet.
- Front panel Fibre Optic modules carrying Virtex5 Serial interfaces.
- Sundance RSL connector with 4 serial interfaces.
- On-board USB interface to allow re-programming of the flash memory.
The SMT959 is an ADC – DAC module, SLB expansion card.
The module combines four analogue-to-digital channels capable of converting analogue inputs into 12Bit digital words up to 40 Mega samples per second (Msps) and four digital-to-analogue channels capable of converting 12/14Bit digital inputs words up to 125Msps into its corresponding analogue outputs.
The module uses the Sundance Local Bus (SLB) in order to interface to DSP modules such as the SMT339.
Analogue to Digital Converter (ADC)
The ADC is based on National Semiconductors ADC12D040. These devices convert the analogue data steams into digital 12 Bit 2.5V logic data words. This converter uses a differential, pipeline architecture with digital error correction and an on-chip sample-and-hold circuit to minimise power consumption while providing excellent dynamic performance.
Digital to Analogue Converter (DAC)
The DAC is based on Texas Instruments DAC2904Y. These devices convert 14Bit digital data steams (12Bit DAC2902Y) into there corresponding analogue output voltages. The DAC2904 offers exceptional dynamic performance, and enables the generation of very-high output frequencies for a wide variety of waveform-synthesis applications.s759